Elders makeup the Session of the church. The Session is the body that makes decisions about the operation of our church, from worship, to education, to the upkeep of the facility and everything in between. The Elders are elected by the congregation and ordained to the office. The Elders serve as chairpersons and members of the church’s committees.
The Deacons are the leaders charged with caring for the needs of congregation members. Each Deacon has a “flock”, or group of members, for whom they care. The deacons are also elected by the congregation and ordained to the office.
2021 – Beth Barker
2022 – Barbara Ransopher
2023 – Carole Wachtel
Presbytery Rep – Fred Pyle
Presbytery Rep – Spencer Barker
Clerk of Session – Doug Kullman
Treasurer – Beverly Kerr
Board of Deacons
The role of the board of deacons is to provide for the care of the members of the congregation, This is accomplished by:
- Each deacon being assigned a “flock” from the congregation that they are to connect with and seek to care for.
- Planning and providing special care for our members who are in nursing facilities, shut- in at home, or facing special issues in their lives.
- Providing occasional opportunities for the congregation to live their faith by contributing to collections for local mission organization (i.e. coats for the Salvation Army and personal care items for BHP residents).
- Arranging for the distribution of communion to members who are no longer able to attend.
- Working with the Pastor to lead monthly worship services at the Inn at Chapel Grove and Sharonbrooke.
- NOTE: Deacons are elected by the congregation and ordained to their position. See more about our deacons on the Leadership page of the website.
The role of the Nominating Committee is to make nomination to the congregation for the elected positions in the church. This is accomplished by:
- Taking nomination from the congregation each fall for the offices of elder and deacon and for a second funds member at large.
- Meeting to discuss these nominations and to identify other members of the congregation who would be good for the positions.
- Contacting all nominees and working with them to discern whether or not they will be accepting the nomination.
- Presenting the nominations to the congregation at their annual meeting in November.
Budget and Finance
The role of the Budget and Finance Committee is to oversee all financial aspects of the congregation. This is accomplished by:
- Planning and implementing an annual stewardship campaign.
- Building an annual budget based on projected giving and committee budget requests.
- Overseeing the budget throughout the year making sure that expenditures are not exceeding giving.
Communications and Technology
The role of the communications technology committee is to oversee and plan for all communication and technology needs of the congregation. This is accomplished by:
- Reviewing and making necessary changes to any church communication tools (i.e. bulletin, website, newsletter, etc.)
- Working with the Administrative Assistant and the Pastor to assure that all church events are communicated within the congregation and the community.
- Overseeing all technology in the building, arranging for any repairs, and purchasing any necessary replacements.
The role of the Education Committee is to oversee all Christian Education programs and the Church Library. This is accomplished by:
- Adult Study
o Approve curriculum
- Sunday School (K-5)
o Recruit teachers o Provide curriculum and supplies
o Provide supplies
- Vacation Bible School
o Recruit teachers/volunteers o Provide curriculum and supplies o Provide director/co-director
- Youth Ministry
o Recruit leaders o Provide curriculum and supplies for Youth Group and Sunday School o Provide Confirmation class as needed
- Coordinating and tracking background checks for all teachers/leaders
- Special Events
o Third Grade Bibles o Christmas Tree Decorating Program o Graduation Recognition & family breakfast
- Receive annual report from the Library Committee
The role of the Facilities Committees is to care for the church’s properties. This is accomplished by:
- To maintain, repair and replace all the church’s physical property including parking lots and rental or leased property.
- To establish sufficient insurance coverage for all church property and carry liability coverage for staff and officers.
- To create and oversee a budget for maintenance and church office operations.
- To relate to staff and congregation regarding safety concerns within the church and be responsive to suggestions for improvements.
- To handle maintenance related to the church van and verify eligible drivers.
The role of the Fellowship committee is to facilitate the building of relationships within the congregation through social opportunities. This is accomplished by:
- Providing snacks during coffee hour; soliciting donations from congregation members for snacks or funds
- Making arrangements for a cake for Birthday Recognition Sunday (2nd Sunday of each month)
- Hosting Christmas dinner
- Budgeting the finances
- Organizing congregational fellowship opportunities outside of Sunday morning
- Working with representatives from 1st and Hanover Presbyterian Churches to organize the food for the joint church picnic
- Arranging monthly Night Out Fellowship Dinners (2nd Friday of each month)
- Preparing a breakfast for graduates on Graduate Recognition Sunday
This role of the Outreach committee is to guide the church in reaching out to the community and beyond with the love of Jesus. This is accomplished by:
- Managing the allocation of mission funds to international, national, and local mission
o Some of the traditional mission partners have been:
▪ International Missionaries:
- Mike and Nancy Mahan – Peru
- Mark Hare and Jennie Bent – Haiti & Dominican Republic
- Chris and Greg Callison – Kurds
▪ National denominational projects and agencies:
- PDA – Presbyterian Disaster Assistance
▪ Local Community mission organizations:
- Licking County Coalition of Care
- Organize, publicize, and manage the local funds from the P.C. (U.S.A) denominational offerings (One Great Hour of Sharing, Pentecost Offering, Peace-making Offering, Christmas Joy Offering) and the Church World Service Blanket Sunday.
- Identifying, organizing, and implementing outreach projects for the church.
o These Projects have included:
▪ The Food Pantry
▪ Bi-monthly Community dinners.
▪ Summer Family Fun Nights
▪ Final Friday Events
▪ Polar Express Event
The role of the Partnership Committee is to work to create and maintain connections within the congregation and within the other churches in the community. This task is accomplished by:
- Organizing and attending regular meeting of the Presbyterian Church Partnership.
- Providing avenues of communication between Second Presbyterian Church and other churches within the community.
- Brainstorming and implementing new ideas for the church and passing those ideas onto other committees of the church.
- Offering events that will help to build connections between church members.
The role of the Second Funds committee is as follows:
- Maintenance of the Second Church Fund
- Recommend to the session the proper use of the income generated by the Second Church Fund as managed by the Presbyterian Foundation. This task is accomplished by:
o Receiving funding requests from committee of the Second Presbyterian
Church o Discussing and voting as to whether or not these funding requests are within
the scope of the appropriate uses for the fund. o Making formal recommendations to the Session regarding the distribution
of these funds.
- Providing for oversight of other endowment funds as requested by the session.
The Role of the Worship Committee is to provide oversite for all worship activities of the church. This is accomplished by:
- Working with the Music Director and Pastor to oversee all worship services of the church.
- Organize and Set-up for special worship services/seasons (i.e. Advent, Christmas, and Easter)
- Have oversite as to the order of worship, the preparation of the elements for communion, and the ushers.